[ale] Ubuntu upgrade

Jim Philips briarpatch.jim at gmail.com
Mon Jul 5 08:46:40 EDT 2010

It sounds to me like you have a mixture of old and new Grub config files.
This could have come from the way you upgraded Ubuntu. When I am upgrading
to a new version, as I did for Ubuntu 10.04, I back up my home directory and
do a "nuke and pave". That is, I completely reformat the partition and
install Linux anew. This was an especially good idea for 10.04, because they
moved to a new version of Grub. If I go to /boot/grub, I don't even have a
menu.lst file, since Grub doesn't rely on that file for configuration in
version 1.98. And version 1.98 is standard for Ubuntu 10.04. The config file
for that version is grub.cfg. Open Synaptic (or other package manager) and
see what version of Grub you have installed. So, if you didn't do a nuke and
pave when you upgraded, I would recommend that. Yes, you will have to
reinstall some programs. But it's worth it.