[ale] NetMan Question

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Sat Jul 3 12:30:45 EDT 2010

On 07/02/2010 11:12 PM, Richard Faulkner wrote:
> Greetings all...
>
> Here's a simple question for those in the know...I could go digging for
> this but thought I'd hit the list for soots-n-grins...
>
> I was helping my dad with a tech issue on his Fedora 12 Gateway laptop
> (no dual-boot). He said he had lost the Network Manager applet on the
> main panel. Some digging revealed that the wireless NIC was disabled but
> even with his configs entered in Network Connections (and a reboot) he
> didn't get Net Man back. Not knowing how to get it "back" I suggested
> that he create a new user and go from there. This wasn't a bad choice
> for him as he didn't have anything important in that old user anyway and
> it solved his problem -- but still...I'd like to know how to get Net Man
> "back".

There are two things that commonly casue people to "lose" networkmanager
in my experience.

1) Removing the notification area from the panel. I think that would
hide network, bluetooth, volume, and power icons. The solution is to
right click the panel, chooose add to panel, select notification area,
and click add.

2) The networkmanager icon will not appear if there are no interfaces
for it to manage. If you manually configure a network interface
networkmanager does not manage it. The solution is to make sure the
itnerfaces are configured as described at
http://fedoramobile.org/Members/MrHappy/system-config-network

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts