[ale] Servlets and NetBeans and .jars, oh my!

Dylan Northrup ale at doc-x.net
Fri Jul 2 11:53:12 EDT 2010

Actually, I think that'd be precisely the wrong place to start.  The
tutorials there are presented on specific technologies, but are not put into
any overall context and there is nothing to tie the tutorials together or
show when and where they're supposed to be used.  I know this because I am
in the same position as Pete, have been looking for a similar "Guide to the
Java Ecosystem" and found Sun's Java tutorials to be utterly lacking in that
respect.  Sun's site is great for learning how to implement the specific
technologies, but not on why you'd want to implement those technologies,
IMO.  YMMV.

2010/7/2 Björn Gustafsson <bg-ale at bjorng.net>

> This is a good starting point:
>
> http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/
>
> On Fri, Jul 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM, Pete Hardie <pete.hardie at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > Hello all,
> >
> > I'm trying to get back into the Java world, and since it's been a
> > decade since I last looked at it, I'm at a loss as to where to
> > start.  I'm pretty sure that I've retained enough about Java the
> > language to be ok, but the whole Java ecosystem has
> > grown around the language, and I don't know where to start.
> >
> > Does anyone know of some good roadmaps and overviews of the various
> > Java things so that I can decide what I need to learn first?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >

> > --
> > Pete Hardie
> > --------
> > Better Living Through Bitmaps
>
> --
> Björn Gustafsson

Dylan Northrup
"Adversity is just change we haven't adapted ourselves to yet."
 - Aimee Mullins