[ale] [OT] Tin foil hats [Was: Re: niche Linux distros article]

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jul 1 11:02:49 EDT 2010

On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Greg Freemyer <greg.freemyer at gmail.com>wrote:

> For the last 24-months there's been a shortage of tinfoil.  Oh.., wait
> a second, after the election they quit buying tinfoil and started
> buying bullets instead, so maybe you can still find tinfoil.

The price of lead foil has shot up almost as crazy as gold.  Maybe there's a
connection....

If you can actually _find_ real tin foil, get ready for sticker shock! I
have a set of solid coppr pots that one has a bad scratch in the tin linning
I want to fix. The solution is to do the flux, apply heat and melt in a bit
of tin foil into the scratch. I found a 1m square of tin foil was about $12.
The same amount of aluminum is about $.30. So I'm using a silver-bearing, no
lead tin solder (no cadmium or other funky metals either) 1% silver and 99%
tin that cost $4 for a small spool. Now to build a gonzo charcoal fire to
keep the pot hot while using the torch on the specific area...
James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits

 Faith is a cop-out. If the only way you can accept an assertion is by
faith, then you are conceding that it can’t be taken on its own merits.
   Dan Barker, "Losing Faith in Faith", 1992