[ale] rsync question

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jan 31 20:24:34 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-31 at 20:01 -0500, Richard Bronosky wrote:
> Agree on all points. Only use the rsync daemon to service people you
> don't trust with access to your ssh daemon. Encryption is pretty cheap
> these days.

Hahahaha...  That's funny the way you phrased it.  I trust everyone with
access to my ssh daemon.  If they don't have "authorization" they don't
get "access" beyond it.  They can access the service.  It just won't let
them in.  It doesn't accept passwords at all and if you don't have an
appropriate authorization key, you can just sod off.  I don't even
filter access to the port or do any fancy tricks to block brute forcing.
No passwords accepted, no brute force can succeed.  I trust the ssh part
of the equation.  But I'm playing games in sematics at this point...

> On 1/31/10, Michael H. Warfield <mhw at wittsend.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, 2010-01-30 at 19:15 -0800, J. D. wrote:
> >> Hey all,
> >>
> >> I frequently use rsync. It is an awesome tool. What are the advantages
> >> of running the rsync daemon vs just running rsync strait without the
> >> daemon running?
> >
> > I would use the daemon if I were offering up anonymous rsync access for
> > downloads and that's about it.  Everything else requiring
> > authentication, I would use straight rsync over ssh.
> >
> >> Thanks,
> >>
> >> J. D.
> >
> > Mike

Mike