[ale] external hard drive

Neal Rhodes neal at mnopltd.com
Sat Jan 30 00:08:48 EST 2010

It might just be that the USB port just doesn't have the juice.   I have
an external USB disk drive and only one of our workstations has enough
power to run it normally off the USB port.  However, the drive enclosure
came with a little extra USB power takeoff.  I got a wall wart that puts
out USB power, plug that into the port on the drive, and the drive is
now happy with all workstations.  Without that external USB power I get
a click-click-click noise when plugged into just the USB ports which
lack sufficient power.

Neal Rhodes
MNOP Ltd.