[ale] Cross Platform File Systems (was re: external hard drive)

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 15:18:35 EST 2010

Welcome to multi-OS hell.

There is currently no such thing as a "Universal Translator Drive System".
The closest are the NAS systems that actually run an embedded Linux with
Samba and Mac connection layers. Using something like that would be my first
choice. While it won't be as fast as an internally mounted drive or even a
USB2 drive, it will be easily accessible and stable.

Look at these gizmos for ideas:
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321845
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0321393
http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0318027

etc...

an older pc running samba with gbit nic and a gbit switch may be easier to
handle. Just set up the samba to be essentially no security and you have an
instant microshaft/crapintosh NAS :-)

James P. Kinney III