[ale] SATA Hard Drive Issues?

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Wed Jan 27 13:28:39 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 27, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:

> Aren't identical drives subject to similar failures?
>
> -Jim P.
>
> In a previous life working at a large datacenter that does major search
engine and other cloud activities, it was quite common to install a total
crapton of same batch, sequential serial numbered drives into multiple
systems as a large-scale batch upgrade process.  I don't recall the failure
rate after such an install as being horrendous as related to bad drives or
drives that failed shortly after installation. But it was certainly
noticeable.  Something around 3-5% within 30 days would have seemed high.

But those upgraded drives were not really "consumer grade". I have had
multiple failure of identical consumer grade drives such that I buy
different brands for all new machines now.

if "once bitten, twice shy" does that mean "thrice bitten, 8 times shy"? 2x
vs. 2^x
James P. Kinney III