[ale] SATA Hard Drive Issues?

Lightner, Jeff jlightner at water.com
Wed Jan 27 11:40:54 EST 2010

We run entire arrays full of SATA disks.  We do have occasional failures
but replacing 1 disk every 3 months when we have hundreds of them leads
me to the conclusion that the disks aren't that bad.  Of course we also
have occasion failure on SCSI and Fibre drives.

Identical manufacture dates can be a problem for disks.  At a prior job
we had a Sun D1000 array and ultimately were told by Sun that all the
drives in that array needed to be replaced due to "diamond dust" in the
factory at the time of manufacture.  (We had several other of these
arrays that never saw the same level of issues.)  I'm not sure I ever
believed the "diamond dust" explanation as Sun was the same company that
tried to blame "cosmic rays" for the E10K CPU debacle.  However, it is a
fact that after we replaced all the drives in that array it quit having
such a high level of disk failure.