[ale] usb drives suck

Michael B. Trausch mike at trausch.us
Mon Jan 25 14:47:16 EST 2010

On 01/25/2010 02:23 PM, Lightner, Jeff wrote:
> It's important both the port and the device be USB 2.0 to get USB 2.0
> rates.  If one is USB 1.0 that's the best you'll get.

Don't forget about the cable.  If the cable is too long (or extended) or
has too much electrical resistance, you will not be able to fit as much
data as quickly down the wire.  If using USB for bulk data transfers
(which I only do anymore when I am really stuck for an option; I much
prefer eSATA) then be sure to have a short cable that is low resistance
and well-shielded.

If possible, however, I'd strongly suggest installing one or more eSATA
ports in the system (if the system already has SATA, this is a trivial
matter, as you can install a face plate on the system that will provide
eSATA ports and pass them through to the inside) so that you can connect
up the drives and transfer data at rates identical to those for the
internal drives.  I have such a face plate on my system because I do a
lot of data transfer with external drives, so I have an eSATA housing
for drives and use that.

	--- Mike

Michael B. Trausch - mike at trausch.us
Tel: (404) 592-5746 x1