[ale] usb drives suck

John Mills johnmills at speakeasy.net
Mon Jan 25 14:20:01 EST 2010

ALErs -

Short answer: Yep.

They do seem quite slow, whether the underlying storage unit is a 2.5"HDD,
3.5" HDD, or even a DVD. I've also had problems with 2.5" models
overheating and failing somewhere far into a big transfer. <#$%&*^%!!!/>

Another limiting factor has been the underlying fat32 file systems I've
had on my units. On the other hand that makes them very handy as Win/Lin
backup and transfer media.

Plus, the 2.5" adapters for laptop HDDs are real cheap when you already
have a drive you can use.

TANSTAAFL, I guess.

  - Mills