[ale] Can I Have Both ALSA & PulseAudio Installed?

Scott Castaline skotchman at gmail.com
Fri Jan 22 16:06:23 EST 2010

On 01/22/2010 03:31 PM, Pete Hardie wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 22, 2010 at 15:11, Chris Fowler<cfowler at outpostsentinel.com>  wrote:
>> Pulse is supposed to be able to use ALSA.  I'm about two steps away from
>> ripping Pulse right off my 9.10 newly install system.  I'm tired of the
>> speakers popping every time and app sends audio.
>
> I passed that point a few months ago.  PulseAudio sux rox in my
> opinion.  I could not seem
> to cleanly remove it from my system, so I just chmod a-x the
> executable and let ALSA run.

It seems that there is a new problem with F12 and pa in that you can't
record. That's where I'm at with it. I may try to remove pa and see if
that fixes the record issue. I cna hear through the speakers what goes
into the mic, but when I try to record, it's like being in a time warp,
where record time != real time. Record for 3 - 4 seconds takes ~ 1
minute in real time.