[ale] USB Keyboard and GRUB Booting Issues

Ed Cashin ecashin at noserose.net
Thu Jan 21 08:47:52 EST 2010

On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 9:12 AM, Dev Null <devnull at iamdevnull.info> wrote:
> EDIT: This is the error.
> It loads the Linux kernel completely, and then it gives me this:
> (This is the only part that I can see, some of it has trailed off the screen)

To get the best help, it's often worth capturing all the information
about the oops or whatever.

The easiest way to do it is probably with netconsole.  There's a
part of the CLN HOWTO that does a pretty good job introducing
it if you haven't used it, but netconsole doesn't work with all network
cards, and if you aren't familiar with networking nitty gritty, it might
be confusing.

  http://support.coraid.com/support/cln/CLN-HOWTO.html#id2554512

The other way is to use a null-modem cable and set up a serial
console by adding "console=tty0 console=ttyS0,9600n8" to the
kernel boot command line, then to use kermit with logging turned
on to capture the console output on the other host.

Easier still is to configure a VM in virtualbox to connect its serial
port to a raw file and set the boot parameter as above, but it sounds
like hardware-specific stuff might be involved in your case.

Once you have all the information, the maintainers of the opensuse
kernel will probably be interested in hearing from you.  Good luck!

--
  Ed Cashin <ecashin at noserose.net>
  http://noserose.net/e/