[ale] Seagate 1.5TB drives, bad blocks, md raid, lvm, and hard lock-ups

Matty matty91 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 20 10:25:11 EST 2010

On Wed, Jan 20, 2010 at 8:35 AM, Brian W. Neu <ale at advancedopen.com> wrote:

>> It's possible these could be caused by TLER:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TLER
>>
>> I am using a bunch of Seagate 1.5TB drives with ZFS (it has built-in
>> data checksumming, which silently repairs corruption), and have seen
>> higher than normal failure rates from these drives. The reviews on
>> Newegg seem to indicate that these drives have TONS of issues, and I
>> won't be purchasing any additional Seagate disks in the future.
>>
>> - Ryan
>> --
>> http://prefetch.net
>>

> Ryan, are you using them on OpenSolaris, or are you using ZFS-FUSE?  I'm
> implementation is stable.

I am using opensolaris since I don't want to take the performance hit
from FUSE. If you want an easy storage solution based on opensolaris,
check out EON:

http://eonstorage.blogspot.com/

It's super easy to set up, and has all of the latest opensolaris
features (data de-duplication, RAIDZ3, etc.).

- Ryan
--
http://prefetch.net