[ale] nslookup works, ping doesn't ???

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Tue Jan 19 15:30:40 EST 2010

On Tue, 2010-01-19 at 15:09 -0500, Greg Freemyer wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 2:58 PM, Lightner, Jeff <jlightner at water.com> wrote:
> > I don't use Suse but this seems odd to me.
> >
> > Are you sure resolv.conf isn't used?  Is it possible it just isn't there by default?   Maybe you need to manually create one.
> >
> > Is there an nsswitch.conf that tells it where to look?
> >
> > On a quick search I see many references to resolv.conf on OpenSuse 11.2.

> Okay, I'll switch my comment about /etc/resolv.conf to say it is barely used:

I'm seeing some references complaining about weird behavior with an
empty resolv.conf and needing to remove it and then the problem goes
away (I got the impression it then gets created properly but I could be
wrong).  Except those references are in some bug reports wrt 11.2 RC1
and had something to do with NetworkManager.

Mike