[ale] Copy-on-write file?

Michael H. Warfield mhw at WittsEnd.com
Sun Jan 17 23:37:41 EST 2010

On Sun, 2010-01-17 at 20:46 -0700, JK wrote:
> On 1/17/2010 11:26 AM, Michael H. Warfield wrote:

> > Hmmm...  If you want to do that on the block level, about my only choice
> > would be to set up an LVM partition with lots of free space in the PV
> > and put your image in the file system in the LV.  Then take a snapshot
> > of the LV and then go to work on your image.  If you screw something up,
> > revert to the snapshot, discard the changes, redo, and repeat.

> That sounds like the right answer.  Unfortunately I'll need to get another
> drive to implement it -- things are getting a little crowded on the
> recovery machine.

And that's compared with multiple copies of the image?

Yes, you are absolutely correct.  You walk down the data recovery road
and you want lots and Lots and LOTS of free disk space for all sorts of
things.  Three to four times the size of the drive you are trying to
recover is not at all unreasonable.  To recover that 200G drive I worked
on, I had a 750G drive dedicated just to that one sole purpose the
entire time.

: - Snip

> Thanks,
>
> -- JK