[ale] [Marginally On-T]: Tomcat/Java

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:49:25 EST 2010

CLASSPATH is _not_ set by default. That is because redhat-like systems use
the /etc/alternatives framework. 'man alternatives' followed by a typical
noodle-bake for specifics on how to set things in that environment.

back to CLASSPATH:  It is not unheard of to have multiple java environment
on a single system. Therefore the start-up of any app(let) will have a
config section that will set the appropriate CLASSPATH for that instance.

Yes. It's maddening. Also the config files for each app in tomcat can have
their own CLASSPATH although that's usually appended to the default one and
packaged in the .war file.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 3:25 PM, Jeff Hubbs <jhubbslist at att.net> wrote:

> In Gentoo-land, I can just type "java-config -r", but on Red-Hat-alikes,
> how can I read back a Tomcat server's classpath?  $CLASSPATH does not
> seem to have a value exported out to the entire system.

James P. Kinney III