[ale] datastorageunit.com

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 16:05:36 EST 2010

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 2:19 PM, Jim Lynch
<ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com> wrote:
> Greg Freemyer wrote:
>> On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Jim Popovitch <jimpop at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> We should, collectively, run an ALE distributed encrypted archive cluster.
>>>

>> That would be cool.
>>
>> I currently pay dreamhost a monthly fee to maintain a backup of 400GB or so.
>>
>> The cost is not bad, but I always worry that if I really need to
>> restore it, it will take weeks to get my data back.  Having it local
>> (metro Atlanta I assume) so I could somehow get physical access and
>> download via USB (or better yet, eSata) would be comforting.
>>
> I sort of got the idea he meant shared storage on all our systems, not a
> separate facility.  A la bittorrent, kinda.  I have a few spare Gb as do
> others so I'll store some of my data on yours and you can store some of
> your data on mine, etc.
>
> Jim.

Does a software solution for that exist?  Is it opensource?  Linux based?

If I do have a disaster (fire?), how long would it take me to recreate
my 400GB of data I currently rsync offsite every night?

(In my case the data is pretty stable.  typically less than a GB of
delta per night.)

As I said, I currently use a large offsite rsync repo, so doing
something similar via the ALE group would be cool regardless of the
implementation details.

Greg