[ale] datastorageunit.com

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Jan 15 00:30:48 EST 2010

On Thu, Jan 14, 2010 at 10:36 PM, Robert Coggins <ale at cogginsnet.com> wrote:

> So, I am looking for a linux alternative to mozy or carbonite.  (I would
> hate to lose everything due to fire/theft)
>
> I keep seeing something about the site datastorageunit.com.  They tout
> unlimited storage with any type of client (rsync, sftp, ssh) for $3/mo.
>  Do any of you have experience with them?  If so, what do you think?
>
> Do you have any other suggestions?  S3 would be fantastic but looks like
> it will be too expensive for the amount of data I want to backup(lots of
> photos!).
>
> I am also thinking about setting up a server at friend/family house to
> rsync to but we'll see.

I've been using Ubuntu One since I upgraded to Karmic.  I'm really
liking it, and starting to move parts of my home directory to it and
connect it back to my home with symlinks.

I only put stuff on there that I don't have a ton of redundant copies
of on the Internet already.  But the fact that it syncs to my homedir
no matter which system I login to is very, very nice.

If I start running low on space, I may even consider upgrading.

   --- Mike