[ale] Mediainfo

Brian Pitts brian at polibyte.com
Fri Jan 8 21:43:41 EST 2010

On 01/08/2010 04:32 PM, David Tomaschik wrote:
> Terry Bailey wrote:
>> The following is touted to be a binary and the implication is that
>> almost any flavor of Linux would do.

Only if it's specifically touted as a static binary is that implied.

>> MediaInfo_0.7.4.7_CLI_Linux_i386.tar.bz2
>>
>> However, I cannot find it.  Does anyone know where it can be had?
>>
>> I want to run it on Cygwin

This does not make sense. Cygwin does not let you run binaries compiled
for linux. As the front page of cygwin.com says, "Cygwin is not a way to
run native linux apps on Windows. You have to rebuild your application
from source if you want it to run on Windows."

The answer to where to find precompiled binaries is almost always

1) Check your package manager (e.g. cygwin)
2) Check the project's download page (e.g.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/mediainfo/files/binary/mediainfo/0.7.27/)
3) http://justfuckinggoogleit.com/

In this case you could stop at 2, since they have
MediaInfo_CLI_0.7.27_Windows_i386.zip

--
All the best,
Brian Pitts