[ale] OFF TOPIC: looking for new online stockbroker, and please don't suggest Scottrade...

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Wed Jan 6 08:22:17 EST 2010

Courtney Thomas wrote:
> I chose this venue because of the intelligence of it's participants. If
> I'm way out of line, disregard this message and please
> accept my apology.
>
> I need to replace my current broker and would appreciate feedback from
> satisfied investors.
>
> I'm considering Etrade since they, apparently, make directly available
> more foreign markets.
>
> Experience and thoughts on this would be appreciated.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Courtney

Etrade is OK if you never have to contact them.  I had an Etrade account
that was holding my company's employee stock purchase plan, when the
company spun off a division and issued new stock in the name of the new
company, it went to Etrade.  They started charging me $45 a quarter for
the privlege of holding that stock since I wasn't an active trader.  I
never was able to actually talk with anyone about it.  I finally had to
have Schwab make a transfer for me.   Etrade has a reputation of being
very hard to deal with if you have to deal with them.

This site is representative of other things I've heard:
http://www.dogsofthedow.com/etradefeed.htm
Jim.