[ale] passwd for root not working

Scott McBrien smcbrien at gmail.com
Tue Jan 5 18:38:41 EST 2010

(1) Take the server off the network.
(2) copy any data that may be important on the machine
(3) *optional* replace the disk with another so you can analyze it later
(4) Reinstall the system
(5) apply all package updates
(6) put your data back on (though you might consider restoring it's
state from backups made pre break in)

Likely you were targeted with with a scripted attack, but there's no
way of knowing or EVERYTHING they've done to the machine in the
meantime, at least not quickly.  Better to wipe it out and start fresh
from known good binaries and data.  If you've pulled or images the
borked systems disk you can attempt to analyze how the attacker
exploited you.  But to start, all user account passwords should be set
to something different on the replacement box, and anywhere you use
the same root password should also be updated.

-Scott