[ale] Ale Digest, Vol 27, Issue 92

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Fri Apr 30 13:14:48 EDT 2010

On Fri, 2010-04-30 at 05:34 -0400, Paul Cartwright wrote:
> I still have my original, working KX-P1124 dot matrix printer.. from
> 1986/7 ?

I can't make that kind of claim myself.  I used to have an Epson FX
printer, which I'd still have if someone else hadn't thrown it
away.  :-(

These days, I have a Citizen 500 9-pin that I use for printing out large
code listings that I need to acquire familiarity with.  I've even used
it a few times to print binary disassembly to try to figure out what was
going on so that I could work around issues (though I was only ever
successful with that task once; I really suck at looking at optimized,
disassembled code).

I would definitely consider a good quality 9-pin dot matrix printer to
be an essential tool.  If I could just get one that understood UTF-8 as
a character set, I would be _really_ happy.  For now, when I need to
dump UTF-8 to my printer, what I wind up doing is running it through
iconv and transliterate to ISO-8859-1.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child