[ale] geezer notice with meeting idea

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 29 13:03:16 EDT 2010

How true! That older hardware is more robust than some of this newer stuff.

Hmm. A build-it demo to create a solid system for the blind would make a
good group project. And we likely have enough older hardware around that
would make a decent system or two. I know I have a pair of working
P4/celeron level mobos with ram and sound. Not fast enough to run hulu in
full screen mode but solid web browsers.

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 12:35 PM, John G. Heim <jheim at math.wisc.edu> wrote:

> You know, if you build that thing, it might have a practical use as a
> computer for a blind person. Not that anyone would actually want it given
> that in most communities you can pick up a P4 for nothing from someone who
> doesn't want to pay the disposal fee.
>
> Still, I use my original pentium laptop with54 Mb of RAM practically every
> day. You can install linux with speech, mail, web browser, text editor, etc
> in less than 512 Mb.

James P. Kinney III
Doing pretty well on all 3 pursuits