[ale] (OT) Scared my teen today...

Sid Lane jakes.dad at gmail.com
Mon Apr 26 14:41:25 EDT 2010

I remember reading "Just for Fun" (the Linus bio) back in late '01 while my
wife was having surgery (yes, I'm a geek/yes, I'm a married geek...).
anyway, one of the things that struck me was him talking about how you could
copy the kernel and/or basic interpreter into "shadow" ram in the same
address space that you could then modify/customize.  I remember thinking
"HEY!  _I_ used to do that!" then feeling depressed at the thought that he
went on to write linux & I...  well, I can't complain - I've done o.k. at
this as a career but to think we were doing the same things at the same time
at basically the same age (think he's a yr or 2 younger) 1/2 way around the
world was simultaneously cool & humbling...