[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Greg Clifton gccfof5 at gmail.com
Thu Apr 22 13:05:48 EDT 2010

Shift in focus to the hardware side of the equation. This thread
concentrates on software generated corruption issues, but I have some
hardware related questions. First, with RAIDed hard drives, are any file
systems more or less likely to cause (or minimize) the likelihood of
corruption of the array and if so, why? Second Greg F (and others) have
commented on NOT using RAID 5 (and RAID 6) esp. with large hard drives.
Looks like 1 or 2 TB hard drives will soon be "standard issue" for
everything but notebook computers. So does that mean that RAID should be
considered 'dead,' except for 0, 1, 10? Third, would SSDs solve the failure
from bad sector issues with HDDs and thus be safe for RAID 5/6
implementations?