[ale] XFS on Linux - Is it ready for prime time?

Doug McNash dmcnash at charter.net
Wed Apr 21 21:34:13 EDT 2010

I'm consulting at a company that wants to turn their Linux based NAS in to a reliable product.  They initially chose XFS because they were under the impression that it was high performance but what they got was something of questionable reliability. I have identified and patched several serious bugs (2.6.29) and I have a feeling there are more unidentified ones out there. Furthermore, xfs_check craps out of memory every time so we have to do an xfs_repair at boot and it takes forever.  But today we got into a situation where xfs_repair can't repair the disk (a raid5 array btw).

Does anyone out there use xfs? How about a suggestion for a stable replacement.
--
doug mcnash