[ale] copiers: one more thing to be paranoid about

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 13:43:38 EDT 2010

I have a multifunction HP monster that only lacks hole punching and coffee
preferences. It does make a decent cheeseckae and can mop floors pretty
well.

Since it has fax, picture printing from a USB stick, scan to CIFS LAN
server, and it takes nearly 10minutes to power up from unplugged, it is a
prime candidate for internal storage.

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 1:13 PM, Michael Trausch <mike at trausch.us> wrote:

> On Tue, 2010-04-20 at 13:07 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> > Um, duh! They're called _copiers_
> >
> > "I'm a copier. I make copies" <bender's office machine friend>
> >
> > It may be time to dig apart some printers as well and look for
> > document storage abilities. Reprint ability requires document storage
> > ability.
>
> Perhaps I should have been a bit more clear:  It's a really expensive
> all-in-one multifunction device that does printing, scanning, copying,
> duplexing, finishing, etc., with multiple paper sizes and handles FAXing
> and provides a file share service and FTP upload and does PostScript 3
> and all of these wonderful other things.  (Honestly, if I could afford
> one... I'd so get it.  Just for the stapling and hole-punching
> capabilities that it has... that's damn sexy, IMHO.)
>
> It does everything, though.  I wouldn't be surprised if it logs
> everything that it can hold.
>
>        --- Mike
>
> --
> Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
> you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child
> labor should:  boycott Microsoft like you would any other amoral child
> abuser:  http://is.gd/btW8m

James P. Kinney III