[ale] ubuntu versus fedora

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Apr 17 11:54:46 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 10:28 -0400, wolf at wolfhalton.info wrote:
> My web server is running on CentOS.  If I ever bring it in-house, I am
> probably going to try using Debian instead, but just because I like
> the Ubuntu updater better than yum.

You might also consider an LTS release of Ubuntu Server; they support
direct upgrades from one to the other.  I have been using a mixture of
those and regular releases on servers, depending on the server's task.
I often need to use virtualization like KVM or what-not, so those are
the systems that I use.

When FreeBSD actually supports system virtualization or
paravirtualization (à la KVM or Xen) as a host system, I will likely be
running that, because most of the things that I do could be done just
fine on FreeBSD, but there are always a few things that I need a system
running Linux for---but Linux systems stink at containerization for the
time being.  LXC isn't rock-solid yet, and OpenVZ requires massively
out-of-date kernels, and I just don't _like_ running full VMs when I
don't actually need them.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child