[ale] ubuntu versus fedora

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Sat Apr 17 11:48:52 EDT 2010

On Sat, 2010-04-17 at 11:35 -0400, Larry Johnson wrote:
> Oh, and I should state that this is not a slam at Red Hat/Fedora.  For
> the past few years I've mostly used Red Hat derived distributions, and
> I'm more comfortable administering them than I am with Debian based
> distributions.  I just need everything to work without flaking out on
> me, particularly in front of customers :-)

That's why I'll use _anything_ but an RPM-based system.  Even
Slackware!  ;-)

Seriously, though, I am a *huge* fan of the Debian package management
system, though I have yet to find a package manager that is actually as
flexible, robust, and simple as it should be.  I have a rather long list
of bitches with regard to existing package managers.  I'd like to get
around to writing what I consider to be a complete solution for package
management without a lot of the ad-hoc systems that have been built
around the Red Hat package manager or the hundreds or utilities that
have been built around the Debian package management system.
Unfortunately, my (lack of!) available time to do so makes that
extremely difficult.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child