[ale] [Semi-OT] Re: More reasons to adore Microsoft

Michael Trausch mike at trausch.us
Thu Apr 15 11:31:37 EDT 2010

On Thu, 2010-04-15 at 11:17 -0400, Jim Kinney wrote:
> My point in the post was not to discuss the labor laws (or total lack)
> in China, but that Microsoft (and the list of others in the article)
> have profited handsomely from business actions that most of us as
> parents would object strenuously to.

I think the biggest impact that it will have is none.  That said, as my
newly-added signature indicates, I'm hopeful that that isn't the case.

But most people don't really care.  They'll buy clothing, furniture,
cars, computers, and general other stuff regardless of the conditions
that the aforementioned items were made in.  Most people perceive
Microsoft software as being necessary for business (my clients do, too,
despite my efforts to convince them otherwise) and therefore, they'll
justify the purchase and use of the software as a necessary evil of the
world.  That turns the children into something like martyrs, and makes
it all better, I guess.

It's disgusting, IMHO.

	--- Mike

--
Even if their crude and anticompetitive business practices don't make
you think about using their software, their use of sweatshops and child