[ale] thinking about switching away from ubuntu

Greg Freemyer greg.freemyer at gmail.com
Wed Apr 14 10:53:10 EDT 2010

<snip>

> Hey Adam,
>
> I'm in the exact same boat, but my main distro is Fedora. I've been running
> it since 8 and have been pretty happy, even with a couple of annoyances.
> Though - since Fedora 11, I haven't been able to get my nVidia GeForce card
> working properly. It's been racking my brain and NO ONE can seem to figure
> out why my monitor is losing its signal when I use the kmod-nvidia drivers.
> It works on my Windows partition (did I say that out loud!?).
>
> So; I finally threw my hands up and when the stable version of the next
> Ubuntu release is available.. I'm making the switch. The general quote that
> I hear about Ubuntu is, "it just works." We'll see. :)
>
> --
> Marc Ferguson

Marc,

I recently had an intel graphics chip that worked fine with 2.6.34-rc3
until it slept.  After that the monitor never came back.  (Older
kernels worked fine too.)

Parroting back what I was told with out understanding it:

The newest kernels are implementing KMS for intel and nvidia (I
think).  They gave me a intel specific boot param to disable KMS.  Now
my machine is working fine with a 3.6.34-rc3 kernel.  (ie. extremely
current as of two or three weeks ago.)

I assume there is someway to disable KMS for nvidia as well.  You can
try to google it.

btw: if anyone knows a simple answer, what is KMS?

Greg