[ale] thinking about switching away from ubuntu

adam prozaconstilts at gmail.com
Tue Apr 13 22:58:03 EDT 2010

Hi-o,

Over the past year or so, I have started to notice that I'm having to
tweak, fix, or otherwise finnagle my ubuntu desktop more and more into
working properly every time a new release comes out.

For 9.04, pulse audio drove me nuts. For 9.10 usplash was a disaster.
I've had recurring samba problems via gnome's vfs and nautilus systems.
X with multiple monitors is nerve-wracking (damn mouse pointer bug).
It's never been a problem I couldn't tackle, it's always just been a
minor annoyance...but the annoyances are starting to stack up.

I've read a blog post here and there calling for uber bug fix
releases[1], and I tend to agree. "Linux for humans" has gotten tougher
and tougher for me to believe in regards to ubuntu.

I feel like giving 10.04 a shot (LTS is supposed to mean a more stable
release), and if it fails for me, I think I might try to look for
greener pastures.

Has anyone else felt the same at some time or another, and have you
looked for a similar solution? Any luck? Also, I've only ever used
ubuntu, but none of the other variants produced by canonical. I'm open
to try another 'buntu if it's worth it.

Adam

[1] http://www.tannerhelland.com/commentary/ubuntu-linux/ubuntu-1004/