[ale] lost a cpu core

Geoffrey lists at serioustechnology.com
Tue Apr 13 10:55:32 EDT 2010

Raylynn Knight wrote:
> Geoffrey if you try the install on external drive and still have
> problems let me know.  I also have a MacBook Pro and could try booting
> your external install on mine.  This would help indicate whether it is
> a problem with the distro or your MacBook.

Thought I'd update the list on my recent success regarding this problem.

For whatever reason, I could not get the initial installation RHEL 5.4
disk to even boot until I stumbled across a link that suggested the
following boot parms:

acpi=force noapic irqpoll

I don't know why they worked, but they did.  Once installed, I found
that I had to add them to my grub.conf to get the install to boot, but
all was happy.  After moving to 64bit, I lost one core of my two core
processor.  After much discussion with RH, I revisited these parameters
and found that by removing the noapic, parm, my macbook would still boot
and I got both cores.  The weird thing is, I've tried every combination
of these parms before in order to remove them from my boot process in
the past, but my macbook would not boot.  There must be something about
the latest RHEL 5.5 kernel that resolved that issue.

The weird thing is, I did not have this issue on 32bit RHEL 5.4.  That
is, I had both cores using all these parms.