[ale] OT: WD "Advanced Format" and "Green Drives"

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 15:57:50 EDT 2010

I did a wiring project at DHL some time back. I observed their handling crew
would throw the boxes tagged "fragile" _harder_ than the others that were
not marked. If they heard tinkeling sounds ofterwards it was a source of
much hilarity.

FedEx drove a forklift fork through a server case I shipped out. When it was
delivered, they positioned the boxes to hide the damage and ran back to the
truck. 2 layers of 300lb cardboard, 4 inches of polystyrene foam, another
layer of 200lb cardboard and the metal case side all had a gash 5 inches
wide and 1/2 inch tall. Mobo was dead as was one cpu and 2 out the 6 DIMMs.

I have since designed a hard-sided server shipping case with internal shock
mounts that should let a server survive a 6 foot drop.

James P. Kinney III