[ale] WRT54G2 wifi router troubles

Richard Faulkner rfaulkner at 34thprs.org
Fri Apr 9 09:56:01 EDT 2010

Hi Charles --

Been falling behind in this interesting thread but finally got caught-up
this AM.

Yes.  You did the right thing.  (And YES a very interesting point in how
her machine finally connected).

Your resolution has my curiosity for future reference as well.

Was her wireless card enabled when she was trying to connect originally?
Was she broadcasting her SSID?  What is the OS?  If Windows was it
up-to-date (service pack)?  That's kinda the order that I would start
in...

I had a local shop that I do contract work for present me with an Acer
netbook that was claimed as not being able to connect to the user's WAP.
The OS was 9.10 and they (the shop and user) were not familiar with it.
I took a "look" and it connected straight away for me.  No issues.  I'm
no genius but in this case had more to do with knowing the clicks to get
the job done.  In this case, nothing was broken...and I'd guess that the
gal (in my case) was not broadcasting her SSID and didn't know what it
was in the first place.  (Trying to connect to the wrong network or
something?)  As far as I can tell the issue in my case was good ole'
user error.

Your case sounded more of a s/w related issue in the laptop
understanding "who" it was suppose to talk to.  That or the wireless IF
was not enabled when all of this started?  Dunno.  Once you did get an
open connection to the WAP it became aware of it and remembered the
connection (assuming that you manually input the SSID).  iPod's Touch
(my eldest son has one) seem to work this way when connecting to
non-broadcast SSID's.  Connect once and they will "remember" the SSID
for one more connection.  After that you have to manually key them in
again.

But then, if you're already weary of this one please let it do a fly-by.
I'm with you...an interesting resolution.    ---R