[ale] WRT54G2 wifi router troubles

Jim Kinney jim.kinney at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 14:34:03 EDT 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 2:04 PM, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com>wrote:

MCSE technical guru != Genius

> So now her MCSE dude is telling her that she really wants to put her
> DHCP modem in pass-through mode and do PPPOE through her wireless
> router.

Strike MCSE dude with a large, blunt object. Repeat. Repeat. Repeat. This
will accomplish nothing except to complicate the connection process onto her
system. There's _no_good_ reason to provide the windows laptop with a
direct  to the Internet IP address. There are _many_very_good_ reasons to
hide all windows machines behind layers and layers of obfuscation and
security and IPv6 blocks.

> I wrote an email to the other guy, but I'm assured that he won't
> answer and probably won't even read it, seein' as how he's a
> $100-an-hour system administrator and everything.
>
> Did I do the Right Thing?

Send him a bill for $180/hr.

James P. Kinney III