[ale] Two video cards driving 2 monitors each

Joshua Roberts jrtroberts at gmail.com
Mon Apr 5 09:25:57 EDT 2010

I am building a server for a friend of mine.  I am trying to setup two
Nvidia graphics cards to work with Ubuntu 9.10 x64bit.  Each card has 2xDVI
outputs.  the goal is to be able to drive 3-4 monitors simultaneously.  I
have read some pages about editing the xorg.conf, but it seems that in 9.10
the dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg command does not work.

I have seen tutorials that require this command to setup the displays.  But,
with 9.10 it seems that I will have to do this manually.

This is currently all my xorg.conf file contains.

> Section "Screen"
>         Identifier      "Default Screen"
>         DefaultDepth    24
> EndSection
>
> Section "Module"
>         Load    "glx"
> EndSection
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Default Device"
>         Driver  "nvidia"
>         Option  "NoLogo"        "True"
> EndSection
>
> So I am thinking that I will have to reload the xorg.conf from the install
cd and start over.

the two video cards are
the Nvidia 9500 GT PCI-E 16x
the Nvidai Integrated Quadro FX470

Can anyone give me some hints, tips, pointers, or links that will help to
get this setup working?

Thanks

Joshua Roberts