[ale] Cory Doctorow on the Ipad

Fri Apr 2 17:45:31 EDT 2010

AT&T's 3G service is on a different frequency range than T-Mobile's.
>From what I have heard there are no manufacturers making a
3G radio that can do both. I would expect that an iPad on T-Mobile
would be 2G only if it can connect at all. Also, it requires a
micro-SIM instead of the regular SIM. I don't think T-Mobile has any
of those yet.

On 4/2/10, scott <scott at sboss.net> wrote:

> the iPad (unlike the iPhone) is not locked down to AT&T.  Apple did force
> AT&T to allow the iPads to be used on their networks without long term
> commitments.  I would say that by the monday after the 3G model release
> (this weekend is the non-3G release) people like T-Mobile will be more than
> happy to hook your iPad up to their network instead of their evil death star
> competitor.  I know they are move than happy to help you move your iPhone to
> their network.  Some of us are just tied to a contract and dont want/cant
> afford to pay the early out fee.
>
> There is rumors are the new 4G iPhone will be not tied to AT&T (which comes
> out this summer).  Will it be tied or not depends on the deals/contracts
> that AT&T and Apple craft up.  I know that Apple hears a LOT about being
> tied to the death star is a major downside to the iPhone.  I know corporate
> has heard it.  I personally told them (they were stupid enough to ask me for
> my option).  And the person I talked to mentioned I was not the first to say
> it.
>
> soooo we all will see.
>

> On Apr 2, 2010, at 4:00 PM, briarpatch.jim at gmail.com wrote:
>
>> On Apr 2, 2010 3:47pm, Charles Shapiro <hooterpincher at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Short answer: Just about as good as the Kindle.
>> >

>> > http://www.boingboing.net/2010/04/02/why-i-wont-buy-an-ipad-and-think-you-shouldnt-either.html#more
>> >

>> What I want is a good notebook that would flip around and let me operate
>> in tablet mode with a touch-screen. That wouldn't have all of the
>> crippling deficiencies that the iPad has. Apple wants to lock you into
>> doing *everything* their way, including 3G connections through AT&T
>> Ale mailing list
>> Ale at ale.org
>> http://mail.ale.org/mailman/listinfo

Sent from my mobile device