[ale] cabling and GA

Jim Lynch ale_nospam at fayettedigital.com
Thu Apr 1 14:53:40 EDT 2010

Damon L. Chesser wrote:
> Got a phone call for someone looking to cable networks.  Needs a secret
> clearance, I don't have one.  However, I realized I don't know GA law,
> not being native.  Do you need anything to run cat5 in GA?  You don't in
> OK, where I am most recently from.

I think this thread went off course.  If someone asked me about a
"secret" clearance, I'd immediately think of the DOD secret clearance.
I don't know of any other agency  state or federal that uses the term
"secret" wrt to clearances.  The DOE, the other major agency that deals
in security clearances uses letter to designate the level, with the "Q"
clearance being the most common and probably somewhere between DOD
secret and top secret in background check requirements.  If he really
means DOD secret, it usually takes months for an initial clearance but a
person that has been cleared previously can have his clearance
"archived" or whatever the term is, I forget.  Then it's fairly quick to
get it back active again.  They did that to me, but I've never had to
get active again.  It was my understanding that it costs a company to
keep a clearance active and it's probably unusual for an individual to
have a clearance without having an ongoing reason for the clearance.

Anyway those are the most common federal security clearances.  The state
of Georgia most likely has similar levels for secure access to
information/facilities.  I currently only know of one however and that's
a confidential clearance needed by people that deal with law enforcement
data.  The only reason I know that is 'cause I have it.  :)

You probably need to find out what agency is requiring  the clearance to
see about satisfying the requirements.

Jim.