[ale] Update Linux alternative to Sharepoint

Chuck Payne terrorpup at gmail.com
Wed Sep 30 09:54:03 EDT 2009

On Wed, Sep 30, 2009 at 9:16 AM, James Taylor
<James.Taylor at eastcobbgroup.com> wrote:
> I think I may have mentioned this before, but you might also look at
> kablink, http://www.kablink.org
> It provides file sharing and versioning, along with pretty much any
> other SP equivalent functions, plus maybe a few more.
> -jt
>

> James Taylor
> The East Cobb Group, Inc.
> 678-697-9420
> james.taylor at eastcobbgroup.com
> http://www.eastcobbgroup.com

> Look at Knowledgetree. It's an open source, direct competitor to
> Sharepoint. It has a community version that works very well. The
> annual costs for a 25 person office are plenty easy and you can get
> direct M$ Office save-to capability if you are still stuck if office
> suite la-la land. Supports versioning and read-only while open for
> write capabilities, etc.
>
> Once you factor in the cost of just biting the bullet and jumping ship
> to OpenOffice and add in the educational use discount, you have money
> in the bank for training and a decent server to run it on.
>
> <mode='snippy'>I find it interesting that the solution was to get and
> load a trial version of sharepoint and then crow over how easy it was
> with no mention of the research path taken other than a "post to ALE
> with not much response". A search on Freshmeat.net for "document
> management" returns 14 pages of code to try out. A Google search for
> "linux document management system" returns 11+ million hits. A search
> in Microsoft's Bing returns 75+ million hits. </snippy>
>
> <mode='arogant bastard'>My personal favorite is ASCII text files and
> subversion with LaTeX for layout. Keeps the button-pushing
> mouth-breathers at a great distance.
>
> On Tue, Sep 29, 2009 at 2:06 PM, Craig Button <craigb.rn at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>> A week or so ago I posted a request for suggestions for a Linux
> alternative
>> to MS SharePoint.  I didn’t get much in the way of responses, so
> I’ve had to
>> do some research myself.
>>

>> Well I started with MS.  I downloaded demo of  MS Server 2007 and
> SharePoint
>> 2007.  Once burned to DVD I installed it on a new leftover computer
> with a
>> new hard drive.
>>

>> 1.5 hours later I had an intranet up and running, with document
> sharing,
>> discussion board, email, calendar sharing and document collaboration.
>> added the 25 people to the domain, and it’s been being tested for
> that past
>> 5 days.   Easy and I never had to look at a manual or a book, it
> recognized
>> all the hardware, took the IP address and all that kind of stuff.
> Haven’t
>> calculated cost yet, but we are eligible to education discount.  I
> figure
>> this weekend I’ll look into security issues and then take the next
> [...]

We looked at all the ones that have been state, the Alfresco one looks
 and like Sharepoint. There is a free non-supported version you can
get. The support one cost about $10 to 20K a year for support, but
this include any customize work you need done.

openSUSE -- http://en.opensuse.org/User:Terrorpup
openSUSE Ambassador
openSUSE Member
skype -- terrorpup
twitter -- terrorpup
Identica -- terrorpup
freenode(irc) -- terrorpup/lupinstein.
friendfeed -- http://friendfeed.com/terrorpup

Have you tried SUSE Studio? Need to create a Live CD,  an app you want
Studio a try.
http://www.susestudio.com