[ale] LMS for OPEACE

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Tue Sep 29 03:13:38 EDT 2009

> They want a learning management system to help them generate a student
> accessible curriculum, and create monthly reports. One suggestion we
> have so far is to use moodle(http://moodle.org/) as a base, and modify
> it to their needs. I was wondering if anyone here has had any

Moodle is an incredible project, and works well if you want people to
"moodle about" in an instructor lead fashion with various activities.
ie: an online variant of an instructor lead paradigm and pedagogy.

It's not a 'learning content creation framework', or at least, it wasn't
last time I installed it. There are other projects like eXe that create
reasonably standards based "course modules" with hooks to the LMS
(Learning Management System)  using AICC or SCORM (course to LMS
communications standards).

LMS's are easy, good content is hard. -MOST- teachers are not content
creators, or at least not good ones.  There is, in the "K-12" area,
a lot of content out there for Moodle shared by teachers and school
systems.

That being said: Not sure of Moodle is right for Operation Peace,
but it's the best place to start looking. Worth installing (pretty
painless) and playing around with. After working with it,
you'll know whether it's right for you, or have a very definate list
of reasons it's not and what you are looking for.