[ale] SCO Open Server 5 boot root floppies?

Jeff Lightner jlightner at water.com
Mon Sep 28 12:23:08 EDT 2009

Hmmm - I believe the system did have DAT drive on it.  I didn't really
pay much attention since I didn't have any tape media with me.  I know
it did NOT have a 1/4" cartdrige drive (though I actually have an old
external SCSI 6525 at home).

The CDROM drive was kaput.   I'd already suggested to my Director we
could just put an off the shelf drive in it.  Since it appeared to be a
clone system rather than a brand name I'm guessing it doesn't have any
proprietary drives.

Do you know of a way to interrupt the install and mount the root drive
if you boot from the tape or the CDROM install media?  My vague
recollection was that the install media automatically wiped out whatever
drives it found which is why I was thinking I'd need a boot/root set.

Did they make boot/root on CD or tape with Open Server 5?  My experience
was all pre-1996 when they didn't even install TCP/IP automatically.