[ale] Let's Party! (To celebrate computer viruses!)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Sep 23 19:51:34 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 17:41 -0600, JK wrote:
> I'll state for the record:  I prefer Windows XP as my everyday
> desktop OS.  I have to use it for work, and that being the
> case, it's just easier to use it for all my personal productivity.
> OTOH I'm well aware of its flaws and limitations, and I'm making
> an informed decision to live with them.  Also, I've stopped
> encouraging random acquaintances to switch from Windows to
> Linux for their desktop, for two very simple reasons: (1) I
> don't have the time or interest to keep up with the rapidly
> changing Linux UI scene, so it's almost impossible to support
> people remotely; and (2) I have inevitably ended up being the
> first line of technical support for people I've converted
> in that way, and I really don't like that.
>
> Or, Shorter JK:  "Winblows suxxorz, but whatever. Use it anyway
> if you want."

And I have no problem with that.  My own personal position is as an
advocate of freedom:  You cannot have if it you don't know what the
choices are.

That said, at least my parts on this thread are intended to be
constructive criticism such that we don't alienate a large set of people
for no good reason at all.  I'm not saying that there isn't a time and a
place for things like nameslinging and what not.  I just don't think it
should be in a forum like this one.  I am very grateful that it isn't a
substantial majority of the content (e.g., in comparison: C.O.L.A.,
where nearly every single post contains some variation on "Microsoft",
"OS X", or some other product name that conveys "Yes, indeed, I really
hate that stuff" in the same way as people who hate things we deem it
"bad" to hate).

One of the reasons that I am *still* supporting various users is because
they refuse to enter forums because of the same stuff.  I won't even
suggest to people anymore to check out a mailing list or forum because
so many that I have told that to wind up dumping the list and calling me
instead, because they get stuff like "Oh, you stupid Micro$hit dozer" or
other immature things like that.  It's troublesome, particularly when
one sees people who _want_ to use other systems, but they do not want to
be supported by people who will call them and/or other things names
gratuitously.

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo