[ale] Let's Party! (To celebrate computer viruses!)

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Wed Sep 23 16:20:38 EDT 2009

On Wed, 2009-09-23 at 16:08 -0400, Brian MacLeod wrote:
> A good business yields benefits for all stakeholders, not just the
> shareholders who are but one element.  That means the society that
> they function within, the communities they are present in, and the
> governments it must interact with.  You are right, Microsoft greatly
> benefits it shareholders, and does so effectively, taking nothing else
> in consideration.
>
> Business is not just about making money.  It SEEMS like that nowadays
> with the various scandals and overflowing levels of greed, but it
> should have been always about the holistic view.  It stopped being
> that way a couple of decades ago, and we're paying for that now.
> Thankfully, the education establishment that helps pump ideas into the
> business community has recognized that and is trying to right that
> wrong.  It's just going to take time, and likely, a few more bad
> apples along the way.

I'd be interested in continuing this subthread off-list, for no other
reason that it sounds like maybe you know something that could correct
my potentially incorrect notions about what businesses are legally
required to do; I was under the impression that they were required to do
what is in their best interest with no provision for others, by law (at
least in the case of corporations).

Mind if I ping you privately?

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo