[ale] Good book to help prepare for the LPIC-1 test?

Jaime Henriquez ydntkt at earthlink.net
Mon Sep 21 15:35:58 EDT 2009

Dear ALE,

Can anyone here suggest a good book (or whatever) to help me learn what
I need to know to pass the LPIC-1 certification?

I have a long but spotty background in IT: operating mainframes in the
70s; running a Macintosh lab in the 80s; designing websites in the 90s.
I'm more of an operations person than a programmer, although I can
manage scripts.  I've used Unix, and I run Ubuntu (along with XP) at
home, but not looked behind the mask very much.

I regard open-source software as a good thing, and I'd like to know
enough to help people/organizations make it work for them.  Getting paid
would be nice, too, although I'm not averse to volunteering.

Thanks for your time, people.  :)

Jaime