[ale] repurposing an Android device

Michael B. Trausch mbt at zest.trausch.us
Sun Sep 20 12:46:14 EDT 2009

On Sun, 2009-09-20 at 08:24 -0400, Jim Philips wrote:
> I had thought about the Nokia N900 too.
>
> When I say "repurposed" I mean something like kiosk mode on a desktop.
> It would have limited functions from the user side.

If you replace the Home screen process with something that is hard-coded
to only launch a specific set of activities, and handle all of the
activities that are launched via various events from the phone network
and so forth, yes, you should be able to do that.  You can get the
source for the whole stack and build a custom firmware yourself and do
those things.

As to how *easy* it would be, I don't know.  But it is possible.

	--- Mike

--
Blog:  http://mike.trausch.us/blog/
Misc. Software:  http://mike.trausch.us/software/

“The greater danger for most of us lies not in setting our aim too
high and falling short; but in setting our aim too low, and achieving
our mark.” —Michelangelo