[ale] OT: x86 Solaris-10 installed but not bootable

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Fri Sep 18 16:49:12 EDT 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, John Mills wrote:
> I'm going through the 'Newbie' steps with x86 Solaris-10 (Sun's 05/08
> release), with the usual number of bruises. Not strictly Linux, so please

I gave up, The darn thing wouldn't see my intel ethernet card on an intel
motherboard.. as I started to look into adding the things I needed,
it looked more and more like a Debian/Ubuntu box without the well oiled
and polished integration I have gotten used to.

Something about having to run "Java Desktop"
on a server install creeps me out.

http://www.sun.com/bigadmin/features/articles/samp_setup.jsp

is embarrassingly crude instructions for setting up MySQL and PHP.
and it looked like PHP and Oracle was going to be harder.

I've heard OpenSolaris is better, but after doing a 30 minute Ubuntu
install (Desktop + LAMP) in front of the IT Director that was telling me
he was a Solaris and MS Server shop and didn't want any of that Linux
crapola in his organization.... he agreed to let us install on Linux
instead of Solaris. I saw a glimmer in his eye as I was leaving....

He did have a kick-ass (model ??) set of Sun servers running
Oracle on Slowlaris... but he didn't set them up or even really
maintain them in-house. They have their place, but a small or moderate
web/database server isn't it.