[ale] PowerLine Networks

Chris Fowler cfowler at outpostsentinel.com
Mon Sep 14 16:38:20 EDT 2009

On Mon, 2009-09-14 at 10:00 -0500, Preston Boyington wrote:

> i'd be curious to know if any HAM radio operators have had issues with
> the powerline internet.  i seem to remember it being a pretty heated
> issue a few years back.  is this the same tech?

Most people are oblivious to noise.  When I became licensed I gained
vision.

I have removed a 16 port switch, 33.6k modem, and 5 port switch due to
their ability to create noise in the HF - UHF range.  Enough noise that
they would create hash on FRS channel 2.

Basically with power line networking you are turning the wires in your
home into long wire radiators.  As a Part 15 user if these devices
caused any interference with a Part 97 user (Amateur Operator) it would
be your responsibility to eliminate that interference.  I'm not sure how
you would eliminate with these devices outside of just turning them off.