[ale] LCD display brightness

Mike Harrison meuon at geeklabs.com
Mon Sep 14 15:28:49 EDT 2009

On Mon, 14 Sep 2009, Jim Popovitch wrote:

> How does one rate the brightness of LCD displays for comparison
> shopping?  For instance, I want a new netbook and I want to make sure
> the LCD screen is as bright as my blackberry LCD.

They often have brightness expressed as:
300 cd/m2 and a contrast ration like 20000:1

That's "candela per square meter" Bigger numbers are brighter,
and ratio can factor an effective brightness. ie:
500 cd/m2 at 1000:1 may not look as bright as 300 cd/m2 at 20,000:1
But it's largely subjective, based on your likes, ambient lighting, etc..

Note: my Viewsonic 22" and 24" is brighter and crisper than anything else
I have, including some nice Samsungs.

Also: The screen coating/finish changes a lot of things for me.
I really LIKE a "matte" finish most of the time, but in a dark ambient
setting, "glossy" seems to pop out more (but has reflection issues for
me).

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/devices/blackberrytour/tour_specifications.jsp

Didn't have specs on on a blackberry screen, Do you know what those number
are?